There’s s a very special partnership underway this August that shows you just how powerful civil society and business collaborations can be. It’s a combined effort by Walgreens, the United Nations Foundation, and Shot@Life to give the children in the developing world the vaccinations that they need to prevent life-threatening diseases. At its heart, it’s the alignment between the core values of Walgreens whose tagline is, “At the Corner of Happy and Healthy”, Shot@Life, and The United Nations Foundation that is so compelling because the campaign reveals how social technologies can be so easily used to build brand value and literally save the lives of children.
What makes the partnership so interesting is they have launched it through a campaign called Blogust 13 that is a collection of 31 blog posts throughout the month of August. All you have to do is make a comment on one of the 31 blog posts written by guest writers to unlock a donation that will purchase a life-saving vaccine for children around the world who need it most.
As the month draws to a close, it’s a very simple way for all of us to do something incredibly special for a child in need. Nothing could be simpler than taking a few moments to read a post and then to simply write a few lines of comment of about what you enjoyed or what you learned.
So I invite the We First community to take the time and click here and comment on one of the blog posts. And as you do, consider the following:
– A child dies every 20 seconds from a disease that can be prevented from a vaccine.
– 1.5 million children are disabled or killed every year by a vaccine-preventable disease like pneumonia, diarrhea, measles, and polio.
– Pneumonia and diarrhea are the two biggest killers of children under five and account for more than one-third of childhood deaths worldwide.
– Every child wherever they live in the world deserves a healthy shot at life, and tragically 75 percent of unvaccinated children live in just 10 countries.
– While immunization is one of the world’s biggest public health success stories in recent years, one in five children still lack access to live saving immunizations that keep so many of our own children healthy and happy.
Make sure you end August by taking just a few minutes to read any one of these 31 articles and to leave a comment. Walgreens will then make a donation for every single comment that is made and so far over 31,000 vaccines have been donated. That’s 31,000 children’s’ lives that have been changed forever.
Let’s see if we can all work together to reach 50 thousand before August is done. Please share this information with as many people as you can. It’s probably one of the few times in our lives where simply leaving a comment on a post can literally save a child’s life.
Reading Time: 1 minutesSimon Mainwaring is the founder of We First, a leading brand consultancy that provides purpose-driven strategy, content, and training that empowers companies to lead business, shape culture, and better our world.